Chicken is one of our most consumed meat product on the planet, in fact after pork, poultry(mostly chicken meat) is the most consumed meat on the planet. The reason is that we’ve figured a way to enjoy the meat from chicken especially as it’s a domesticate bird, it is easier to feast on them. Another reason which I’m more interested in, is that we have made for ourselves the best kind of chicken dishes. One of such chicken dishes that could make even a Vegan want to try poultry is the Chinese Ta Chien Chicken. Ta chien chicken is an absolute beast when it comes to chicken dishes from all over the world. If you don’t know what it is, don’t worry because that’s what this article is all about.
What is Ta Chien Chicken?
Ta chien chicken is a Chinese dish that is made with boneless chicken thighs, bell peppers, celery, chicken broth, minced ginger, hot sauce, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and salt and pepper. It is typically served over steamed white rice. Ta chien chicken is a Chinese dish that is similar to kung pao chicken. It is typically served over steamed white rice.
The main difference between ta chien chicken and kung pao chicken is that ta chien chicken is typically fried before it is stir-fried, while kung pao chicken is not. This gives ta chien chicken a slightly crispy texture. Ta chien chicken also tends to be spicier, as it often includes Szechuan peppercorns.
What is Ta Chien Chicken Made Of?
Clearly from the name, chicken is the main/chief ingredient used in making Ta chien chicken dish, but is chicken the only ingredient? Of course not. The ingredients for ta chien chicken are…
- Chicken broth: The chicken broth helps to give the dish a rich flavor.
- Boneless chicken thighs: The chicken is typically cut into bite-sized pieces before it is fried or stir-fried.
- Minced ginger: The ginger adds a spicy and aromatic flavor to the dish.
- Hot sauce: The hot sauce adds a bit of heat to the dish.
- Soy sauce: The soy sauce adds a salty and umami flavor to the dish.
- Bell peppers: Bell peppers are a good source of vitamins A and C, and they add a bright flavor to the dish.
- Celery: Celery adds a bit of crunch to the dish, and it also helps to balance out the spiciness of the sauce.
- Hoisin sauce: The hoisin sauce adds a sweet and savory flavor to the dish.
- Salt and pepper: Salt and pepper are used to season the dish.
All the above ingredients as well as the cooking method resulted in the unique taste, flavor and texture and nutritional value that Ta chien chicken dish possesses. As stated ealrier, ta chien chicken has a slightly crispy texture, because the chicken is typically fried before it is stir-fried. The dish is also quite spicy, thanks to the hot sauce and Szechuan peppercorns. The flavors of the chicken, bell peppers, celery, and ginger are all well-balanced, and the sauce is rich and flavorful.
How To Make Ta Chien Chicken Dish
Follow the below sets of instructions to make your own Ta Chien Chicken dish at home.
- Cut your boneless chicken thighs to small sizes.
- In a bowl, mix the cut chicken, cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the onion, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and add the ginger, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, hot sauce, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Your ta chien chicken is ready, serve with rice.
Ta Chien Chicken Recipe
- 1 Skillet
- 1 Bowl
- 1 Nonstick pan
- ½ zucchini
- ½ green bell pepper
- ½ red bell pepper
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp chilli sauce
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tbsp celery
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- 1 pinch granulated garlic
- 1 block noodles
- 1 tbsp chilli-garlic oil
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 chicken thigh
- 4 cloves garlic
For The Sides
- Slice your zucchini, red, and green bell pepper.
- With vegetable oil fry peppers first in the skillet after they're softened add zucchini and keep frying for 10 minutes.
- Cook the noodles in hot water for 5 minutes.
For The Chicken
- Chop the boneless chicken thighs into half inch cubes and place them into a bowl.
- Add the following ingredients: corn starch, egg white and soy sauce.
- Mix and cook everything and keep them aside.
Cooking; Frying and Simmering
- Mince finely, your fresh ginger, garlic, celery stick.
- With your frying oil and in a nonstick skillet fry the marinated chicken to crisp for a few minutes and set aside in a bowl.
- In the nonstick pan, add your earlier minced garlic, celery and ginger and fry for 2 minutes while stirring.
- Mix up hoisin and chili sauce into the same pan and add your crisped chicken.
- Keep stirring and combine meat and sauce well. Introduce some chicken broth, and simmer lightly. Spice to your taste.
- When the liquid(broth) has reduced, mix up cornstarch in water and combine it with the sauce. And allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
Important cooking tips for ta chien chicken
To have the best experience cooking and enjoying the ta chien chicken dish, add the following tips to your cooking instruction.
- Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the best flavor and texture.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces before frying or stir-frying.
- Use a good quality hot sauce for the best flavor.
- Don’t be afraid to add more or less hot sauce to taste.
- Serve your chicken over steamed white rice as it is traditionally eaten by the Chinese who invented the dish.