Jimmy mustard is the very famous mustard from Jimmy Johns that has become quite a lot of people’s popular choice of mustard. From sandwiches to salads and many more. Lovers of this excellent sandwich from Jimmy Johns can’t get enough of the spicy, tangy flavor and taste. If you’re not one of those already used to Jimmy mustard and probably hasn’t tasted it or can’t recognize the taste, don’t worry as I’ll introduce you to one of the kings of spicy mustards.
What Is Jimmy Mustard?
Jimmy mustard is a whole-grain brown mustard that is made with brown mustard seeds, vinegar, water, salt, and spices. It has a slightly spicy flavor with a bit of a kick, and a slightly grainy texture. Jimmy mustard is a popular condiment at Jimmy John’s restaurants, where it is used on sandwiches, subs, and salads. It is also a popular condiment at other restaurants and at home.
Jimmy mustard is made with a blend of brown mustard seeds, vinegar, water, salt, and spices. The brown mustard seeds are what give Jimmy mustard its distinctive flavor and texture. Brown mustard seeds are larger and have a stronger flavor than yellow mustard seeds. They also have a slightly grainy texture, which gives Jimmy mustard its unique mouthfeel.
The vinegar in Jimmy mustard helps to preserve the mustard and give it a sharp, tangy flavor. The water helps to thin out the mustard and make it easier to spread. The salt helps to balance out the flavors in the mustard, and the spices add a bit of heat and complexity. Do you know of substitutes for mustard seed pickles?
Is Jimmy Mustard Regular Mustard?
This is one popular question a lot of people who are just getting introduced to Jimmy mustard ask. The answer is simple, Jimmy mustard is not regular mustard, the two are quite different. Jimmy mustard is a whole-grain brown mustard and made with brown mustard seeds, vinegar, water, salt, and spices. It has a slightly spicy flavor with a bit of a kick, and a slightly grainy texture. Regular mustard, on the other hand, is typically made with yellow mustard seeds, vinegar, water, and salt. It has a milder flavor and a smoother texture.
Below is a table capturing the difference and similarities (if any) between Jimmy mustard and regular mustard.
|Brown mustard seeds
|Yellow mustard seeds
|Slightly spicy with a bit of a kick
From the above table, you can clearly tell Jimmy mustard and regular mustard are quite different, though both are made from mustard, different types of mustards are used and other ingredients that further differentiates them.
What Does Jimmy Mustard Taste Like?
Jimmy mustard is a bit spicy and tangy. If you’ve not had any spicy mustard before, Jimmy mustard might feel bit different with its spicy flavor and grainy texture. But overall, it is an excellent mustard you want to introduce to your sandwich and other foods you’ve love mustards on. Below is a concise description of the taste, texture and flavor of Jimmy mustard.
Taste, flavor and spice level of Jimmy mustard
- Spice level: Jimmy mustard is not as spicy as some other mustards, such as Dijon mustard or horseradish mustard. However, it does have a slight kick to it. If you are sensitive to spice, you may want to start with a small amount of Jimmy mustard and then add more to taste.
- Flavor: The flavor of Jimmy mustard is a combination of spicy, tangy, and slightly sweet. The brown mustard seeds give the mustard its spicy flavor, while the vinegar gives it its tangy flavor. The spices add a bit of sweetness and complexity to the flavor.
- Texture: Jimmy mustard has a slightly grainy texture. This is due to the brown mustard seeds, which are not ground as finely as yellow mustard seeds. The grainy texture adds a bit of interest to the mustard and makes it feel more substantial in the mouth.
Jimmy Mustard Recipe
Everyone loves the taste of jimmy mustard but only few know how the homemade version of the jimmy mustard would taste like. This section would guide you on how to make your homemade jimmy mustard recipe and feel the awesomeness at home.
Jimmy Mustard Recipe
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 3/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- To grind seeds, first use either a spice grinder or food processor with a small jar. If those are unavailable, you can also use a mortar and pestle but it will take time. Finely-ground mustard will be smoother and creamier. If you prefer a chunkier texture, then blend it a little less.
- Mix mustard powder with the other spices.
- Put some water into a pan, along with the spice mix. Leave the vinegar out for now. Put it on a low heat and cook for 45 minutes until boiling.
- When spreading the vinegar, heat it up for a few minutes. Make sure to stir occasionally so that it doesn’t stick at the bottom of the pan. After about 5-10 minutes, pour this mixture through a different container to cool down. Leave it until it has cooled completely before transferring into refrigerator.
- Place into a well sealed glass jar and store in the fridge. The flavor will mellow out after about 24 hours, though sometimes it can take as long as 48 hours.
Overall, Jimmy mustard is loved by a lot because it is a really nice mustard that goes excellently with sandwiches. Ever tried it before? Liked it or not?